Updating Wix XNA for XNA 3.1

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Hi Cygon,

Can you please give me a pointer in the direction for doing this?

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2009 at 10:40 PM

It's already on my TODO list. I was hoping to get around to do this myself in the next few days.

The steps to update the installer would be:

• Checkout the sources to the Custom Action .dlls from my subversion repository
  • Update the combined XNA setup DLL to XNA 3.1 (requires doing an administrative install of XNA 3.1 and LZMAing the unpacked installer contents with LZMA.exe from 7-Zip's LZMA SDK, then copying them over the files in the project's "Resources" folder)
  • Update the detection DLL so it can tell whether XNA 3.1 is installed (just a matter of adding another else if with the right version number of XnaNative1.dll)
  • Update the installer code to check for XNA 3.1 and, if neccessary, for the newer DirectX version if XNA 3.1 requires a different one than XNA 3.0.

If you've got a deadline to keep or something, just ping me, I don't mind shuffling my schedule around a bit and doing the installer first. It needs to get done anyway before I release :)

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Great to hear you're on top of it (I suspected you'd do it sooner or later). My only deadline is that I'd like to submit my game to a competition at the end of October, and I need to test the installer on a few different setups before then. Any time in the next couple of weeks is perfectly fine by me.

Thanks again.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Hi Cygon, how's your release schedule going  ;)

I could give the update a try but I suspect you'll be able to do it about 10 times faster than I could. I really need to start testing the installer properly in about a week, so it would be great if you could do it by then, or let me know if you won't be so I can try.

Thanks,

Aranda

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Hi!

I'm working on it :)

You an expect something to test on by tomorrow or wednesday.

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Making progress! The trunk version of the installer is fully upgraded to XNA 3.1, just some more testing in Virtual PC and I'll upload the 3.1 release.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Awesome Cygon. I'm really grateful for all your work on this. I'll have to wait for the release as my SVN client seems not to show any source code :|

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I've just uploaded the 3.1 release.

I'll keep it as a testing release until I've tested all the supported OS / .NET combinations. So far XP SP3 and Vista SP1. There's also one issue reported in the forum (http://xnainstaller.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=57939) that I haven't looked into yet.

If you run into any problems, don't hesitate to report back :)