This project is read-only.

Change of installation directory does not work

May 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Hi Cygon,

First of all, thanks a lot for the proffesional looking installer. I used it for my game which is a software part of my Bachelor Thesis. At first I used Inno Setup but then I decided to try out your installer and it not only looks better but is also much more user friendly than the one I used before. However, the installer does not really work in a case when you have multiple directories and you try to change the default installation directory. For example, let's say we want the installer to copy the 'mygame.exe' file and directory 'Maps' with some maps into our install directory. Then we launch the installer and choose some other directory than the default one. The result will be that the 'mygame.exe' file will be copied alright, but the 'maps' directory will end in the 'Program Files'.

I was quite desperate to solve this problem, so after two hours of googling I finally managed to find the solution. I added two lines into the 'SelectFolderDialog' dialog:

• after line 6: <Publish Event="SetTargetPath" Value="INSTALLDIR"><![CDATA[1]]></Publish>
  • after line 16: <Event="SetTargetPath" Value="INSTALLDIR"><![CDATA[1]]></Publish>

Since I am a complete newbie to WiX I don't really understand the details of the changes but they helped.

I hope you were able to decode my poor english.

Keep up the good work,

Karolovbrat

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I totally forgot to reply and say thanks for you post :)

I thought I tested that before releasing the installer, but maybe not with nested directories. I'll make sure that it works out of the box in the next release :)